Vesper Tools will be exhibiting and selling tools at all these Hand Tool events and Woodworking shows. Updated regularly. Do check back.
The full wood show schedule of 2018 is unknown as yet.
The wood show scene has evolved over 20 years since the rise of the internet making the traditional show format less essential to consumers who can obtain information and tool reviews online whilst sitting on a couch. Plus the rise and rise of costs to attend large shows is an impossible imposition on small businesses like us.
The 2017 schedule has been a success and an enjoyable season with the hosting of the Melbourne Hand Tool Event in March at the new Vesper Workshop. Followed up by Handworks in May in Iowa USA. Then what is billed as the last European Woodworking Show in mid Sept was another highlight of the year. Plus the multitude of smaller shows and events attended throughout the year. Who could forget Maleny Wood Expo and Illawarra Wood Festival which are definitely ones to visit.
Melbourne Hand Tool Event and Open Day 2018
Sat/Sun 16-17th of June 2018. 10am-4pm
Hosted at the Melbourne Guild of Fine Woodworking.
14 Cottage St, Blackburn, VIC.
Special guest Steve Latta will be attending the event after having taught classes at the guild for two weeks prior. Steve is known for his marquetry and other fine woodworking skills so this will surely be one not to miss.
- Demo of the LARGEST Bentwood Box in the WORLD!!
- Other demos include: Perch Stool Making, Steam bending, Traditional chair making, Line & Berry Inlay, Sharpening, Carving,
French Polishing, Spoon carving….just to mention a few!
- New & antique tools for sale
- Timber for sale
- Sawmilling happening out the front
- BBQ with sausages & soft drink
- Dovetail Olympics - so you think you can Dovetail?
- Opening of our new Gallery highlighting some of the best work from our students, instructors & professional furniture making
After organising and hosting the 2017 Melb Hand Tool event Vesper Tools is thrilled to see it return to home base at the Guild under Alastair and Jacqueline Boell's stewardship and we will be exhibiting there in full capacity! Anyone seen any stolen Adria Dovetail saws from my place? There's one out there somewhere and it and it's thieves will turn up one day.
Lie-Nielsen Annual Open House and Lobster Bake
July 13-14th 2018.
9am to 5pm.
Hosted at Lie-Nielsen world headquarters in Warren, Maine, USA.
This event is FREE admission, except for the Lobster Bake you will need to purchase tickets from Lie-Nielsen.com for that.
Celebrating 20 years of making and selling tools this year, Chris Vesper will be traveling from Melbourne, Australia to exhibit his world renowned hand tools at the Open House. The flagship products of sliding bevels and try squares and the Precision Double Square will all be present and on display for you to touch and talk to the maker directly.
Perth Wood Show
Fri thru Sun 3,rd, 4th, 5th of August, 2018.
Greylands Rd, Claremont. WA.
The WA Wood show run by Mareene Aitken is a must not miss event for the woodworking calendar out west. Going 25 years strong now this wood show is very successful. Run in conjunction with Out of the Woods the annual furniture exhibition by the WA Woodworking Association there is ALWAYS some amazing examples of fine woodworking on display or for sale. Also run in conjunction with the WA Craft Show at the other end of the very long building there will be something for the boys and the girls here as usual!
Illawarra Festival of Wood
Fri thru Sun 12th-14th of October, 2018.
This will be the second running of this hugely successful event. Bulli is nestled between the coast and the escarpment just north of Wollongong and just south of the Royal National Park, the whole Illawarra area offers a lot to those who love the south coast! The event is being run over 3 days up on the original two. And if the first one is anything to go by this coming event will be in the "do not miss" category of woodworking events!
Update: The Friday will be a Workshop Only day before the main event opens the gates to all on the Sat/Sun. So check the website and see all the great classes one can choose from before they sell out.
Suffice to say this will be THE woodworking event not to miss in 2018 no matter what your interest in woodwork as hobby or profession. This is billed as The Australian International Timber and Woodworking Festival.
- A range of woodworking masterclasses and evening Q&A style lectures Yarns at The Q featuring international and Australian woodworking celebrities
- A Timber & Tools Marketplace featuring back-to-back free demonstrations, a ‘Meet the Makers’ stand, competitive axe throwing and a Luthier’s Lane with a live performance stage
- YouTube Studio featuring Marc Spagnuolo “The Wood Whisperer”
- Exhibition opening at Bungendore Woodworks Gallery – Australian Wood Review Studio Furniture 2018, this is the third exhibition in a series organised by AWR, first two being in 2008, and 2010. There is a significant monetary prize pool for this event.
- An ensemble of woodworking legends from around the world including: American tool maker Tom Lie Nielsen, master craftsman Michael Fortune, furniture artist Andy Buck, Vic Tesolin from Veritas and Fine Woodworking magazine Editor Matt Kenney
- Good food, music and craft beer.
The Timber and Tools Marketplace will be open:
20 – 21 October 2018
9.00am to 5.00pm Daily
There are mumblings and negotiations of more shows but nothing is confirmed or locked in as yet so as soon as they are known it will be posted here!!
Hope to see you all at one of these events!